Most parts of the banana – not just fruit, the leaves, the flowers, peels and even the stem of banana has several health benefits. You should try banana stem juice for weight loss. If you are doubtful about the taste of the banana stem, you will change your mind with this recipe. It is crunchy, woody and delicious and a great vegetable option for diabetics. Dr Aastha Sharma, Dietitian at Nayati Multi Specialty Hospital, Mathura shares with us an interesting recipe of banana stem:
- 1 cup banana stem, chopped
- ½ tsp mustard
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ½ cup coconut, scraped or grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp oil for tempering
- Salt to taste
- Chop the banana stem in medium sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom non-stick frying pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Then add the curry leaves, urad dal and green chillies.
- Add turmeric followed by banana stem and salt.
- Add a handful of water and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the banana stem is cooked well but not mushy. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent the vegetable from sticking or burning.
- Sprinkle the coconut scrapings and mix well.
- Serve with chapattis or bhakri or as a side dish with dal and rice.
You can also use banana stem in raita and store the vegetable in the refrigerator by keeping it soaked in buttermilk. It is a healthy and refreshing option for summer!
Image Source: Shutterstock